Most people associate Boy Scouting with outdoor adventure and with good reason. Scouting is an outdoor program designed to develop character, citizenship, and fitness. With the Scout Oath and Law as a guide, Scouting helps a boy develop into a well-rounded young man.
Through the advancement program, a Scout can progress in rank through achievements, gaining additional knowledge and responsibilities. Earning merit badges provides opportunities for Scouts to be introduced to a lifelong hobby or a rewarding career.
In Boy Scouting, youth take responsibility for the activities of the troops. By planning and organizing activities, they develop teamwork and learn to lead as well as follow. Through the support of parents and religious and neighborhood organizations, Scouts develop an awareness and appreciation of their role in their community.
- Annual Merit Badge Academy - January 21st and 28th at The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in Midland. Some merit badges have prerequisites and Scouts will need to get started right away in order to complete the badge at this event. Registration fee $10 if registered before December 15th. Late fee $15. Scholarships available. Contact Bill Taylor at (432) 699-4004. Click here for registration information.
Also at Merit Badge Academy learn the necessary steps of completing the Life-to-Eagle process and make this transition as smooth as possible. Training is done in one hour and is open to all volunteers and/or parents of Scouts.
- Approval processes
- Online resources
- Application processes
- Board of Review
- PAY ONLINE – To pay for any Buffalo Trail Council event online, please use the following link. This will allow you to pay any fees associated with the event via check or credit card, through our secure online payment system. Remember, you must turn in the individual registration forms to the event! Just mark “Paid Online” on the form and email, fax, or mail your registration form in to get on the list for the event. Thank you!
- Philmont Scout Ranch 2012 Registration Packet – All Boy Scout Troops interested in participating in an expedition at Philmont in 2012, the information you will need to get in on the action is here! You can also go to www.philmontscoutranch.org for more information.
- Fall Cavalcades – Buffalo Trail Scout Ranch - So you hiked the Scout Ranch, and all you saw was your own boots? Come see BTSR from the back of horse! Let HIM watch HIS feet while you enjoy the scenery! Two- or three-day horseback treks called cavalcades take off on select dates in the fall for the roughest and prettiest parts of the Scout Ranch. Participants get plenty of quality saddle time during the day and sleep “under the stars” at night. Cost is only $60 per rider per day. Click here to learn more about the program and to see which dates are available for Cavalcades. Contact Ranger Dan at 432-426-3709 for more information.
- Gold Star Recognition Program for units. Learn about how your Pack or Troop can earn FREE advancement badges by participa Family Friends of Scouting Campaign! Click here to learn more about this program.