Buffalo Trail Council Camps
Texas Youth Camp Act Rules
On April 16, 2006 and May 16, 2010, the state of Texas passed new regulations that affect the Texas Youth Camps Safety and Health Act. These new regulations affect all licensed youth camps in the state of Texas, including Boy Scout summer camps and Cub Scout day camps. As a result, there is a change of policy for all leaders and adults attending any of the Buffalo Trail Council Camps during summer camp.
The following is a synopsis of the new laws in place that affect summer camp operation:
- The camp management shall have on file a CURRENT record of any criminal conviction for all adult staff members and all adult volunteers working at the camp. (This includes adult leaders and parents attending camp with their Pack, Troop, or Crew as participants.)
- Records of criminal convictions and sex offender status may be obtained by an ANNUAL criminal background check and by performing an ANNUAL background check using a Sex Offender Registration database for each staff member's permanent residence and educational residence.
- Effective June 1, 2006, a youth camp licensee may not employ or accept the volunteer service of an individual for a position involving contact with campers at a youth camp unless youth camp has on file documentation that verifies the individual has successfully completed the training and examination program required by this subsection. (This includes adult leaders and parents attending camp with their Pack, Troop, or Crew as participants.)
As a result of these changes to the Texas Youth Camp Act, the following policies shall now be in affect for all adults coming as participants to Buffalo Trail Council Camps this summer, whether as an adult camper or adult staff member.
As a result of these changes to Texas law, the following policies shall now be in affect for all adults coming as participants to Buffalo Trail Council Camps this summer, whether as an adult camper or adult staff member.
ADULT = ANYONE OVER THE AGE OF 18
- All adults coming to participate at Buffalo Trail Council Camps MUST be registered as an adult leader with the Boy Scouts of America. No exceptions.
- All adults must submit to a current criminal background check (conducted within the last year) to determine if any prior convictions preclude their involvement or participation at a licensed camp in the state of Texas.
- All adults coming to camp must submit to a background check through the Sex Offender Registration database.
- All adults must show completion of the BSA ONLINE Youth Protection Training by providing a copy of their training certificate, and it must be currently valid (taken within the last two years). The Online YPT is the only approved course acceptable for showing compliance to rule #3. All courses must be approved by the state, and this is the one that has been approved by the State for BSA Leaders. (MUST BE COMPLETED BI-ANNUALLY!)
As an aid in complying with these new rules, the Buffalo Trail Council has put together an application that MUST be completed by EVERY adult coming to camp this summer. The only exception to this rule is a person that comes to camp as a visitor, does not stay overnight, and stays no longer than half a day, and has no unsupervised contact with youth. Beyond that, ALL adults at camp (whether it is one day or all week) must complete this form and the steps indicated.
The Buffalo Trail Council will conduct all background checks using the same procedures already in place for adult applications submitted to our office. Information obtained from the check, and information on the form is treated with the strictest confidentiality and is safeguarded. The information will be used to meet the regulations of the Texas Youth Camp Act to determine if any adult is precluded from participation as outlined in section 265.12 of this act.
Please have all adult participants from your Troop fill out the following Application for Participation, and the Disclosure/Authorization form and submit them to the BTSR Registrar at least 14 days prior to your arrival at BTSR.
More Information/Application Form
An information sheets and Adult Leader Application for Camp is available via this PDF document.